The thrills of Black Friday

Courtesy Flickr
People gathered in Walmart with shopping carts full to the brim on the morning of Black Friday. Black Friday is considered one of the craziest days of the year with the most unlimited deals.

November 24: The day after stuffing your face with turkey, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie is designated for shopping for everything on your wishlist all at a discounted price. After Thanksgiving, Black Friday is what people are most excited about; who doesn’t love getting their favorites on sale?

This year items from phones to clothes are on super sale and awaiting families and people of all ages to buy them. One of the best parts of Black Friday is the time and how convenient it is. Black Friday happens to be just one month before the holiday season which means it’s the perfect time to buy gifts for everyone you love.

“My mom always goes to the mall first thing Friday morning to buy our Christmas gifts. She makes us make a Christmas list so early every year,” senior Lyn Mckaig said.

Shopping on the craziest day of the year has become a tradition for some families, a way to bond and have some special time. Through all the hecticness of the event, family can either be there to calm you down and help you make rational decisions or stress you out until you are yelling and creating a scene.

“Every year on Black Friday after Thanksgiving dinner my sister, my mom and I go to Target and the next morning we wake up at 7 in the morning and shop at the mall all day. I like this tradition because it is fun to do something yearly and gives me something to look forward to after Thanksgiving,” senior Lilly Pickett said.

While Pickett enjoys shopping for Black Friday, her brother can’t say the same. He chooses to stay home, relax and search for what he wants for the online sales.

“I sit at home on Black Friday because I hate shopping so I just stay home and play video games when my family is at the mall. I’ll probably ask my parents to find some video game deals for me though,” freshman Liam Pickett said.

The deals this year are crazy. Ranging from 25% off Macbooks, BOGO pants, 60% off UGGs and even 45% off air fryers, there are deals for everyone.

“My cousin and I wait at the mall early in the morning until it opens. First we get Starbucks and then we go into our favorite stores. This year I’m most excited to go to Aerie and Lululemon to get some good deals on athletic wear and pants because usually they have cheap options,” junior Hildi Altman said.

There tend to be two people: the ones who shop and the ones who don’t. Shopping, in general, can be stressful but especially when there are people fighting for the same clothes you have in your hands.

“I really hate shopping because it just stresses me out. Everyone is just running around and it’s annoying when you see something you like and it’s just not in your size or you’re arguing with people around you and it’s just so chaotic after Thanksgiving that I would prefer to just look online,” sophomore Abby Ellman said.

Whether you stay at home like Ellman or you wake up first thing to be at the mall right as it opens like Altman, Black Friday is full of ups and downs. So search for those deals, get ready to hop in the car and go to the mall to shop; and if you don’t go, there is always Cyber Monday!

2
0