• The Pitch staff is on summer break and will resume publishing in September
  • The first day of school is Monday, August 26
  • Have a great summer!

Q&A With Ash Hyer

How did you become interested in art?

Courtesy Ash Hyer

I have always kind of done art ever since I was little and I have always loved drawing and doodling. Over Covid, I guess it developed into more of a hobby.

What types of art do you specialize in?

I’m still kind of figuring that out, but I do a lot of acrylic painting and drawing with pens. I’m still experimenting so I do a lot of mixed media, I work with oil pastels and alcohol markers.

Courtesy Ash Hyer

What are your favorite pieces of art to create?

I really like doing surrealist self portraits. They are a lot of fun. It’s interesting to mess with the colors and other general aspects of reality.

What is your favorite piece of art you have made so far?

Probably the one I’m working on right now, but it’s only about half way done so I’ll see if I actually like it when I’m done. It’s a self portrait about personal growth, in a way. I had to get surgery in December and in the piece I’m going to end up embroidering it and sewing parts where the incisions were.

Courtesy Ash Hyer

What was your artistic process for that piece?

For that one, it was the first time I ever used an underpainting. Basically, instead of sketching out in pencil, I just used watered down acrylic paint. Normally people use oil paint because it takes a lot longer to dry, and when you mix in a medium it can become very transparent. But the fumes from oil paint can be toxic and I don’t have a well-ventilated area to work in. So I just watered down blue acrylic paint and I sketch with that instead.

Courtesy Ash Hyer

What are your goals for continuing to pursue art in the future?

I honestly have no clue. It’s difficult to make it as an artist, so if I can’t do that, which I am honestly expecting, I’ll probably just continue doing art for fun. I don’t know if I want to study art, I’m mostly self taught. I have learned a decent amount in art classes in school which are the only art classes I’ve ever taken. But I have a feeling that if I had to take a rigorous art class it would kind of kill my creativity.

2
0
$940
$1000