• The Pitch staff is on summer break and will resume publishing in September
  • The first day of school is Monday, August 26
  • Have a great summer!

Allison Xu’s Senior Reflection

Courtesy Lifetouch

I remember walking into WJ for the first time as a freshman and being surprised by many things: how tall the cafeteria ceilings were, how many staircases there were, how large the auditorium was, how long the hallways were on each floor, how many new people there were, and so much more. These same things have become so familiar to me over the past several years. These are the hallways I’ve walked through countless times, the classrooms I’ve sat in and the people I’ve seen every day.

As the number of days I have left as a WJ student slowly counts down, I reflect on all the experiences I’ve had within and outside these school walls. I’ve grown a lot as a student, a writer, and a person. I’ve found new passions I would’ve never thought I’d try out and communities I feel lucky to call my second home.

Recently, I’ve been experiencing a lot of “lasts.” Last Pitch article. Last DECA roleplay. Last Mock Trial meeting. Last swim meet. Last few weeks of high school, ever. These final moments carry a bittersweet nostalgia, a reminder of the journey taken and the memories created. Yet, I think the end of high school is only the start of the rest of our lives. Ahead of us are all of the limitless possibilities.

Someone recently asked me about the best part of high school. My answer then, and still now, is the people. The teachers who believed in me even when I doubted myself, the friends who laughed with me through the highs and stood by me through the lows, the dedicated staff who tirelessly supported students—they are the heart and soul of my high school experience. I encourage you to take a good look at the people around you and appreciate them. They are the ones who make our high school experience unforgettable.

Over my high school years, in addition to academic learning, I’ve gained so many fantastic experiences. In DECA, I found my passion in business and developed knowledge in relevant topics, which ultimately inspired me to pursue business in college. In Mock Trial, I sharpened my skills in analytical thinking, communication, and teamwork.

Among all these amazing experiences, my work as a reporter and editor at The Pitch is especially memorable. It has a special place where I’ve met the most extraordinary, motivated people. Mrs. Borrelli, our incredible Pitch advisor, is one of the most inspirational people I’ve ever known. She spreads her positive energy to so many people everyday and constantly motivates me to always do my best.

So thank you, WJ, for everything. As I embark on the next chapter of my journey, I carry with me the lessons learned, the friendships forged, and the memories cherished. Here’s to the countless “firsts” awaiting beyond high school!

1
0