Cross Country look to improve heading into states

Ned Storer
Boys cross country prepares for the county championship with a pre-race pep talk. The boys ended up in fifth place behind Northwood, Paint Branch, Wotton and Whitman on the cold rainy day.

WJ cross country is racing through the season and on Saturday, October 27 both boys and girls traveled to Gaithersburg High School to compete in the Montgomery County County Championships.

The girls team finished in fourth place behind Whitman, Wootton and Sherwood. The girls’ team was led by sophomore Ella Gaul with a time of 20:11 and sophomore Camille Gage with a time of 20:44. Gaul finished in 10th place while Gage finished in 19th place. The girls are looking to improve upon their county performance and are looking to capture a sixth straight state championship.

The boys finished in fifth place behind Northwood, Paint Branch, Wootton and Whitman. The boys team was led by senior Rodrigo Yepez-Lopez with a time of 16:36 and junior Jacob Marks with a time of 17:21. Yepez-Lopez finished fifth individually and Marks finished 26th. The boys hope to capture their first state championship since 2011.

Head coach Tom Martin was pleased with the performance at counties by both teams, calling the performances “great”  but said that going into states “they are looking to run faster” in order to gain ground on the teams currently in front of them.

Come out and support the WJ cross country team on Saturday, November 11 where the team travels to Hereford High School for the State Championship and look to add yet another state championship to the record books.

2
0