Boys soccer undefeated in State play

Photo courtesy of Ian Alves
WJ soccer players stand eager on the sideline ready to play as they wait for the whistle against Clarksburg. From left to right, Sammy Gramlich, Dan Avillo, Jose Gutierrez, Will Dash, Thomas Poliseno, Bardia Hormozi, Fernando Ibarra, Nik Avillo. WJ ended up beating Clarksburg 2-0.

Boys soccer has lived up to expectations with their extremely strong start to the 2021 campaign. The boys are wInning games in overtime and dominating from start to finish. Starting off the season 10-0 in state play, WJ soccer is going to make a strong push for states as this fall season progresses.

A bulk of the roster is juniors which shows how deep the team is. There is no doubt that juniors have made some of the biggest and most clutch plays this season.

The season began with 3 great wins, one of which was won in sudden death at home against Sherwood. Going into sudden death, the score was knotted up at 2 a piece. As time progressed, Leo MacDonald found Thomas Poliseno for the game winning goal to give WJ the 3-2 victory over Sherwood. Juniors becoming the heroes for the team is not just a one time occurence.

“My teammate Sean Blakeslee hyped me up going into overtime and told me it was gametime,” Poliseno said. “Leo MacDonald gave me a perfect through ball, I made a great move to the ball and got us the win. It was a great moment for me and this team.”

WJ took on Richard Montgomery in a battle of 2 top teams in the state. Bardia Hormozi had a hat trick in the first half to give WJ the lead 3-1. In the 2nd half, RM came back to tie the game 3-3. With just 4 minutes left to go in the game, Hormozi hit a game winning goal to lead the Wildcats to victory 4-3.

“I mean I’m cold, so I didn’t feel any pressure,” Hormozi said..

A big story for WJ is all the injuries they have had to face and the juniors who have had to step up. Junior Nik Avillo even took over a captain spot. Avillo has the second most minutes on the team so far this season and has played a very important role at center midfielder.

“I don’t really pride myself much on being a captain either way I’m going to lead my team and be there for my teammates no matter what,” Avillo said.

This special 10-0 (in state play) roster full of talented sophomores, juniors and seniors are looking to further their undefeated season. Look for an important game later this month as the Wildcats take on BCC after a rain delay ended the 0-0 start during their initial meeting.

1
0