“The Little Mermaid” excites new audiences

Photo courtesy Disney
The live-action “Little Mermaid” is thrilling and nostalgic to audiences of all ages. The film was released in late May and has had a successful first few weeks in the box office.

Following years of anticipation, the live-action version of “The Little Mermaid” was released to theaters this month. The film features celebrity actors, including Halle Bailey, Melissa McCarthy and Awkwafina who bring modernity and to a Disney classic.

The film has received mixed reviews, so I was nervous going into the theater. However, I was blown away by how much I enjoyed watching the movie. Seeing the characters come to life made my five-year-old heart so happy (as well as the hearts of the children in the theater).

Halle Bailey starred as Ariel in “The Little Mermaid.” The announcement of her role in the movie came along with excitement and controversy because of the diversity she brings to Disney. She performed the role of Ariel flawlessly through not only her acting but also her singing. Not everyone can sing like a Disney princess, but Bailey perfected it.

Melissa McCarthy brought drama and passion to the role of Ursula. I loved how exact moments of the original film were included in this version, including when Ursula eats the shrimp with her long nails. These little details were nostalgic and reminded me why I love “The Little Mermaid.”

The movie includes all of the classic songs from the original movie but also incorporates new music written by Lin Manuel Miranda. Both Scuttle and Prince Eric sing new songs in this movie. Scuttle’s is a rap called “The Scuttlebutt,” and Prince Eric sings “Wild Uncharted Waters.” The inclusion of these new songs makes the other characters more exciting to watch and follow throughout the story. I enjoyed all of the songs in the movie, but my favorite was still “Part of Your World,” which Bailey mastered.

I was confused about how a live-action film would take place underwater, but it was executed well. Everything looked so realistic, from Ariel’s tail to Flounder and Scuttle talking. It felt like the characters were really magical, in true Disney fashion.

This new version of “The Little Mermaid” flawlessly incorporates the best of the classic movie with contemporary aspects. If you plan on going to the theater to watch “The Little Mermaid,” be prepared with snacks and drinks for its 2 hours and 15-minute run time.

0
0