Boys’ basketball pulls past Damascus in home-opening victory

Senior guard Tyrese Rucker throws down the transition dunk. The Cats propelled past the Hornets 71-50 in their fourth quarter surge.
Courtesy Jesse Nickelson

After a lackluster start with two losses against counterparts B-CC and Kennedy, boys’ basketball picked up the pace in their home victory versus Damascus 71-50 on Monday, Dec. 11.

Out of the gate, Damascus jumped to a 5-0 lead following two sloppy possessions by the Wildcats. Junior Jordan Silverstein got the crowd riled up soon after with an “and one” transition bucket. This spark of energy propelled the Cats to score 10 unanswered points, featuring an impressive block by senior Ian Hochman, prompting a Damascus timeout. Following the short break and a basket by senior Ben Kim, Damascus retaliated with a 9-point surge bringing the score to 12-14.

The game continued with intense back-and-forth play from both sides, showcasing high-level play from seniors Daniel Kenvo and Isaiah Nickelson, contributing to the 20-16 Wildcat lead. More action came from the spirited Cats with a steal from sophomore Will Kreisle and an outstanding pass from Nickelson to senior Tyrese Rucker for an easy bucket.

The Wildcats’ two B-CC transfers this year, Nickelson and Rucker, have a knack for finding each other on the court. The duo had been successful playing for the Barons and have carried their talents over to WJ.

“We are on the same page and it’s been helpful to have someone I trust like that on the court,” Nickelson said.

The next possession for the Cats contained an outlandish ankle breaker to hop step layup for Kenvo.

“My defense and the intensity we brought assisted us,” Kenvo said.

Shortly after, junior Damascus guard Menelik Berhanu-McBride went behind the back past a Wildcat defender, additionally converting the mid-range shot for an exceptional three-point play.

The Wildcats would hold the lead at the half with the score being 35-25.

The third quarter saw Berhanu-McBride and the Damascus Hornets play with high energy. A quick 9-2 Damascus run, with a three-point dagger made by Berhanu-McBride, took the energy out of the building as the Hornets took a 37-35 lead.

However, after the quick timeout break, the Wildcats demonstrated resilience, as Kim’s crucial three-pointer reignited the team’s energy. The high press on inbounds against the Hornets was working well, forcing multiple quick turnovers that converted into easy scores.

“We came out of the second half with a lot of intensity and my teammates making shots, getting to the free throw line helped too,” Rucker said.

The Cats continued to ride the hot hand of Kim, highlighted by a spin layup and three-point shot. In the wake of the last shot to extend the lead to 50-39, the WJ student section continued to pump out heavy amounts of emotion and energy for the players to feed from.

“The crowd did their thing and for sure contributed, if they keep showing out it’ll do us well,” Nickelson said.

A steal and dunk from Rucker added an exclamation point to the Wildcats’ thrilling pull away victory. Securing a much-needed win in front of their home crowd, setting the tone for the rest of the season.

“We have to stay focused and go out to compete every night. Making sure we don’t get complacent towards the end of the season,” Nickelson said.

The Wildcats faced off against Gaithersburg on Wednesday, Dec. 13, and snuck away with a 56-55 victory. They are set to play at Clarksburg on Friday, Dec. 15 hoping to improve to an above .500 record.

0
0