Regionals go swimmingly: Girls win, boys place second

The Aquacats cheer on their teammates as they race in Regionals on Feb. 17.  Im really excited for States and I cannot wait to watch my teammates swim fast, junior Isla Bartholomew said.
Courtesy WJ Swim
The Aquacats cheer on their teammates as they race in Regionals on Feb. 17. “I’m really excited for States and I cannot wait to watch my teammates swim fast,” junior Isla Bartholomew said.

Girls’ swim is on a hot streak, continuing its success with a first-place win at the 4A/3A West Regionals on Saturday, Feb. 17. With this win came many individual successes. Junior Madeleine Simmons was the Regional Champion for the 200 IM and 100 Fly, Junior Isla Bartholomew triumphed in the 100 Breast and senior Healey Morgan, Bartholomew, freshman Elanor Saybolt and Simmons were the champions in the 400 Free Relay. In addition, Saybolt was second in the 500 Free and third in the 200 Free, Morgan was second in the 50 Free and third in the 100 Free and junior Addie Pollitt was third in the 100 Back. In addition, the girls’ 200 Free Relay with Morgan, Simmons, Saybolt and senior Emma Burlina placed second at the meet.

“I felt really proud of myself to win the 100 Breast, and I was really happy to finally see dropped time. My hard work did pay off from all the practices, but I mostly focused on regaining my love for swimming this season,” Bartholomew said.

On Saturday, Feb. 23, and Sunday, Feb. 24, the girls defend their crown from last season in States for the 4A/3A title, something they have been working towards all season. Only the top three at Metros and the next 12 fastest times from all previous regional meets qualify for States. Therefore, all the aforementioned girls qualified for States and are working hard to prepare for the event.

“To prepare for States, I’m focusing on getting into a positive mindset and having fun with the team because it is easy to get stressed in such a close competition. For States I’m most looking forward to the excitement. It’s stressful to have a meet that will likely be very close between us and RM but it’ll also give us a lot of energy to show up and do our best,” Simmons said.

The boys continued their stellar performance placing second at Regionals. Contributing to this impressive feat was the Boys 200 Medley Relay with junior Noah Potter, sophomore Max Bagshaw, senior Joe Flynn and junior Ray Mukoyama, who placed second overall. In addition, Bagshaw placed second in the 100 Breast, Potter placed third in the 100 Back, and the Boys 400 Free Relay with Potter, sophomore Taiyo Murphy, sophomore Dain Phillips and freshman Owen McLellan placed third.

“I was happy with my events especially for the relays because it meant we have a chance at making the podium at States,” Potter said.

The boys will also compete in States on Saturday and Sunday at the University of Maryland College Park Eppley Recreation Center at 9:30 a.m.

“I am most looking forward to just having fun at States. Sometimes, in the most stressful situations, you just need to remember to have fun and reflect on how far you’ve made it,” Flynn said. 

1
0