Survivng a staycation

A perfect activity to do during winter break is to visit the Smithsonian Zoo at night. During the holiday season the zoo is covered in festive holiday lights.
Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Have you ever been stuck at home during winter break while all of your friends are relaxing on a sunny Florida beach or in another country? Well you are taking a vacation commonly known as a staycation.
According to Merriam-Webster, the definition of a staycation is “a vacation spent at home or nearby.” But what would you do during a staycation?

During winter break, take the opportunity to try something new. Some ideas include a jigsaw puzzle, bingeing a new show, baking, starting a new book series or catching up on recent movies and TV shows on different streaming services.

There are plenty of leisure activities students don’t have time for when they are busy with school, sports and other extracurricular activities. A staycation is a good opportunity to spend time doing activities you enjoy.

“I tend to lounge around, play video games, watch TV and read some books. It’s not much, but it’s relaxing and that’s what you are supposed to do on vacation,” junior Rachel Day said.
Just because you’re on a staycation doesn’t mean you have to stay home!

“Don’t just sit in the house all day and go out and take a walk and get some exercise [by going to a park],” sophomore Kyle McElrath said.

Take advantage of our location and go explore a Museum in D.C. or do something else nearby. ZooLights is returning to the Smithsonian’s National Zoo from Nov. 29 to Jan. 1 from 5-9 p.m. The zoo is covered in bright and colorful Christmas lights and some are in the shape of animals.

“I just like seeing all of the lights and how the zoo is decorated. Last time I went there was a caroling show which I thought was interesting,” sophomore Lani Inniss said.

If you are looking for a place to go ice skating, a good place for outdoor ice skating is Rockville Town Center.

“It’s really nice that it is outside and gives off a different vibe than a normal ice rink and it’s really fun,” senior Ellie Quinn said.

There are plenty of places to go that are also indoors like Escapology, a new escape room place that opened recently in Pike and Rose. There are four different escape rooms are “Mansion Murder,” “Budapest Express,” “Mayday,”and “Antidote.”

There are plenty of activities to do locally to keep busy during winter vacation.

0
0