• The Pitch staff is on summer break and will resume publishing in September
  • The first day of school is Monday, August 26
  • Have a great summer!

Upperclassmen reveal why they don’t drive

Photo by Tissa Amaira
Students of all grades walking to their individual busses. Although many seniors have started to drive to school, there are still seniors who take the bus as their main form of transportation.

Dodging students trudging students into the school, hundreds of teenage drivers flood in and out of spaces in the lot near the tennis courts. This terrifying chaos is the senior parking lot. Not every senior has a spot in the parking lot but by senior year, most upperclassmen have their driver’s licenses. However, there is a small group of students who do not have them.

There are a multitude of reasons why some are not getting their license, including having a late birthday, no need to drive or a preference of different transportation. Seniors like Camille Lorillou, simply do not have time to get their license.

“I don’t have time to get a license or learn how to drive alone or with my parents, so I don’t have it at the moment. I prioritize school too much so instead of doing the lessons for driving, I decided to start learning after I finished my college application and since I’m not done with my applications I haven’t learned,” Lorillou said.

Anxiety can be another leading factor to why some seniors do not want to get their driver’s license.

“I just haven’t gotten my license because I’m a shy boy who doesn’t want a random person to judge my driving,” senior Nicolas Reyes said.

Lacking a license is not a problem for these seniors. There are many other methods of transportation that are not only more accessible, but also efficient and sustainable. This includes public transportation and rides from parents.

“At first public transport was kind of weird and I was really bad at it, but I think I’m getting used to it,” senior Eleora Ephrem said.

Though this is the case, some are still willing to get their license eventually.

“I didn’t know that I could get my permit, I didn’t even understand the process until my junior year. I’m planning on getting my license eventually even though I’m scared to,” Ephrem said.

Not having a license does not pose a practical problem, but it does create a sense of weight among some students.

“I feel like everyone’s child when I get driven around,” Reyes said.

Students may feel like they are behind their peers.

“It’s such a big step towards adulthood. It’s something that always takes me aback when I see my friends who are the same age as me and who are going and using their car,” Lorillou said.

Nevertheless, being without a license does not prevent seniors from getting to school prepared, on time, and ready to learn.

3
0