Trump impeachment Inquiry

Trump impeachment Inquiry
Poll by Danis Cammett

Democratic Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi announced an official impeachment inquiry into sitting President Donald Trump. It was a historic day, as the inquiry is the first step to a possible impeachment and removal of the President.

The inquiry was initiated after a July phone call to President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine, in which Trump allegedly pressured the Ukrainian president into investigating the Biden family dealings in Ukraine. House Democrats claim that the reason Trump delayed close to 400 million dollars in military aid was to pressure Zelensky into opening the investigation. Democratic party members claim that the pressuring of Zelensky was illegal and was done to get an edge in the upcoming 2020 election.

For a long time, House Democrats were cautious about whether to pursue impeachment as such an undertaking could have political repercussions on both sides of the aisle.

The Pitch recently published a poll to see where WJ stands on the issue. A total of 220 students responded to the poll. About 63% feel positive, 19% feel negative and 18% are unsure about the inquiry. Students generally feel positive towards the impeachment inquiry, but a minority of students feel the opposite. Junior Patrick Kemp expressed his dissenting opinion on the issue.

“I think the accusations are a little absurd, I mean I just don’t get where they are coming from,” Kemp said.

Senior and President of the WJ Young Democrats Club Alexander Bove offers a different opinion on the matter.

“I think there is very strong evidence to suspect [the accusations] are true. I personally think they probably are, just looking at Mr. Trump’s record of various illegal doings,” Bove said.

President Trump expressed his opinion on the matter by calling it, “PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT.” and naming it, “A total Witch Hunt!”

This remains a developing story as new information keeps arising about the suspected wrongdoing of Trump and the outcome is yet to be known.

0
0