• The Pitch staff is on summer break and will resume publishing in September
  • The first day of school is Monday, August 26
  • Have a great summer!

Greta Thunberg: TIME Person of the Year

Greta+Thunberg%2C+the+Swedish+17+year-old+who+took+the+world+by+storm+in+2019+with+her+empowering+climate+change+activism%2C+has+won+the+TIME+Person+of+the+Year+Award.+She+is+the+youngest+ever+recipient.+
Photo courtesy of Flickr
Greta Thunberg, the Swedish 17 year-old who took the world by storm in 2019 with her empowering climate change activism, has won the TIME Person of the Year Award. She is the youngest ever recipient.

Thunberg’s rise to the global stage began in August 2018, when she skipped school to participate in a solo strike to bring attention to the ever-growing climate crisis. She held a sign reading, “Skolstrejk för klimatet”: “School Strike for Climate.” A photo of her engaging in the act quickly went viral, with many praising her for standing up for her beliefs.

From then on, Thunberg has become a global ambassador and a recognizable figure in the climate movement. From September 20-27, she led the Global Climate Strike, which was the largest climate demonstration in human history. On Sept. 23, she addressed world leaders with an empowering speech at the United Nations Climate Change Conference, condemning them for letting young people down in the climate fight. She, now famously, declared, “The eyes of all future generations are upon you. And if you choose to fail us, I say – we will never forgive you.”

Her work is inspiring a generation to take charge and act now to prevent future climate emergencies.

Senior Emily Crites applauds Thunberg’s efforts, but is aware that some people might discredit her due to her age.

“I think she’s really intelligent and has a very powerful and important message but it’s just really unfortunate that people blow off what she says due to her young age and their disbelief in climate change,” Crites said.

Some of Thunberg’s major adversaries have tried to use her age to disprove her activism in the past, with President Donald Trump publicly bashing the 17 year-old on multiple occasions. In response to Thunberg’s TIME Person of the Year Award, he tweeted, “So ridiculous. Greta must work on her Anger Management problem, then go to a good old fashioned movie with a friend! Chill Greta, Chill!”

While President Trump cannot fathom someone at such a young age making so much progress on a global issue, senior Tom Kesey finds her advocacy remarkable.
“I think it’s incredible for someone, especially at that age, to be the face of such a huge movement and to be able to handle criticism so well,” Kesey said.

Thunberg is making great strides to improve the world we live in and create a better future, bringing awareness to millions around the globe.

0
1