Wildcats eliminated at Barons for second straight year

Photo by Joshua Singer
Junior guard Kate Kreisle attempts a free throw in the second half of the Wildcats’ first round playoff game against BCC. The Wildcats were defeated by the Barons 51-18 ending their 2023 championship aspirations.

After a significant improvement from last year to this year during the regular season, the girls’ basketball team’s season was halted by the BCC Barons 51-18. The Wildcats could not find any rhythm offensively throughout the game, only scoring six points in the first half.

“We couldn’t really set an offense and we were just playing really frantic,” junior guard Kate Kreisle said.

This was the second year in a row that the Barons eliminated the Wildcats by 30+ points in the regional quarterfinal. Defensively they had a rough first half as well giving up more than thirty points which was a rare occurrence this season.

We were just flustered. We weren’t playing as a team, we weren’t connecting. We were just playing for ourselves rather than playing as a team and that didn’t connect and get us points.

— Katie Martin

During the second half, there were more flashes where the team looked like they had in the game prior (a 38-point win against Damascus), but the Barons proved to be too much for the Wildcats on both sides of the ball as they were able to advance to the regional semi-finals. Churchill ended up winning the region and will be playing Western High School in the state semi-finals on Tuesday at 5 p.m.

While the ending of this season was the same as last, the Wildcats were able to win three more games finishing the season with a 12-9 record, their first winning season in four years. The Wildcats’ best win of the season came against rival Whitman who they had not beaten in five years.

“Last year we came in, we didn’t know each other that well so we had a lot more chemistry this season and our offense improved and our defense improved,” Martin said.

0
0