Katie Campbell’s senior reflection

Photo courtesy of Lifetouch

My first day of high school was also my first day of public school during my first week living in Maryland. So, I was absolutely appalled when I walked into my 7th period soccer class to a gym full of dudes. I immediately began to plan how I’d beg my counselor to switch me to yoga until I started playing, and a guy told me I sucked (which was borderline bullying). At that point, I couldn’t back down. I arrived home every day drenched in sweat after playing full scrimmages in jeans. Did I embarrass myself? Sometimes. Looking back though, I realize I had more fun in Soccer that year than any other class.
Under the influence of movies and media, I used to believe high school was where I’d find my place of belonging, whether that’d be a clique or a club. However, I’ve realized that it’s more about exploring outside of your comfort zone and meeting new people. There’s never been one singular place where I feel like I “belong.” From trying out for the soccer team to joining the Pitch, to simply taking a class none of my friends were taking, I’ve built relationships that have taught me more than any honors or AP course.
Many of these relationships I formed through the Pitch. From every single person I’ve interviewed for an article, to my fellow editorial members, to all my other pitches, thank you for being my second family. Thank you Cora for being my mentor and role model. Thank you Nour for being a loving friend through the tears, drama and celebrations. Finally, thank you Ms. Borrelli for being there when I needed you the most, as a friend, a teacher and another mother.
So, my biggest piece of advice for high school would be to venture outside of what you already know. Shared interests are a great way to meet new people, but what’s even better is being able to learn from someone you have nothing in common with. You’ll have embarrassing moments, and you’ll make mistakes, but the experience and memories gained will be worth it in the end. In the words of Adrian Monk, “You’ll thank me later.”

0
0