Senior soccer players celebrate final season

Photo by Sam Mayster
Senior captain Marina Thorn is joined by her family as they walk down the field. Thorn has been playing for the varsity Wildcats for four years and got to celebrate her commitment to the program.

The long-awaited senior night arrived for the girls’ soccer team on Wednesday, Oct. 4. Many of the players have competed on this team for the majority of their time at WJ and finally got to celebrate their commitment to the team with their teammates, coaches and family.

The ceremony started at 7 p.m. and was followed by the game against B-CC, which resulted in an unfortunate loss for the Wildcats.

Four of the girls have been playing on the varsity team since their freshman year: Sofia Ruefli, Marina Thorn, Emily Akpebu and Irene Sanchez. They’ve grown close on and off the field and were able to share their favorite moments last night.

“[My] favorite memories include the overtime win against Wootton last year and spending time with the team,” Thorn wrote.

Senior night isn’t only special to the athletes, but also to those who have supported them through their commitments to soccer. As the students walked down the field with their family, the announcer listed their names, future plans and a piece of advice for their younger teammates.

“[My] advice for younger teammates is to not let the sport define you. Know your worth and keep your head up at all times. Sometimes you might not feel appreciated, but don’t let that ruin your confidence. You’ll always be a valuable player no matter who does or does not see it,” senior Quinn Garrett wrote.

The players also got to share something they’re thankful for during their time on the team.

“[I] would like to thank Coach Gottlieb for being an amazing head coach and Coach Boule for working with [me] during [my] junior year while [I] was recovering from an injury. And [my] teammates,” Akpebu wrote.

Following each player’s announcement, the seniors were greeted by their coach, Neil Gottlieb and Principal Jennifer Baker. The rest of the soccer team and Poms lined the walkway while the crowd cheered for their seniors. All of the seniors then got to start the game in honor of senior night.

3
0