Girls’ basketball falls to Rockets in home opener

Sam Mayster
Sophomore Nora Youssef goes for a layup in the Wildcats home opener against the Richard Montgomery Rockets. The Wildcats lost the game 49-37.

The Wildcats lost 49-37 in their home opener against the Richard Montgomery Rockets.

However, coming out strong, Eliana Nastase, Kate Kreisle, Kendall Alexander, Elizabeth Martin and Norah Youssef, started the game.

The Cats began on defense before winning the ball back quickly. With many fouls between the teams, the Wildcats struggled to keep the ball.

In the 28th minute, the Wildcats got their lead back with a three-point shot, making the score 6-5.

The Cats continued back and forth with the ball, losing it on fouls and rushed shots. With freshman Mira Mann making an appearance, they got the score up again with a two-point shot.

“I think people are really excited about her talent and potential on the team,” Alexander said.

After a failed man-to-man defense attempt, the Cats gave up a foul giving the Rockets a chance to come back. The Rockets made both shots putting them closer to a tied score.

The Cats retaliated with a three-pointer from Youssef to put the score further apart, ending the quarter 11-7.

Going into the second quarter with a solid four-point lead, the Cats were pumped up. Starting on defense again forced the Wildcats to keep their composure. Giving up a free throw early on, the Rockets tied the score.

The ball bounced between the two teams with shots made in between, the Rockets leading the scoreboard. With the Rockets getting a free throw in the 24th minute, the Cats went into the second half down by 3, 20-17.

“We very much felt like we were still in the game. We were feeling hype and we had confidence,” Nastase said.

Starting the second half, the Cats started with the ball and Alexander scored a layup, bringing the score up 20-19.

Winning the ball back quickly, the Cats set Nastase up for another two-point layup, getting them in the lead. The Wildcats struggled to calm down when they made it to the key, forcing them to give up the ball more than necessary.

“I think everyone wants to play hero ball and not everyone understands that scoring isn’t the only contribution. With practice our offense will definitely get better and more consistent,” Nastase said.

In the 21st minute, Nastase set a screen for Youssef for another 2 points, now leading 23-20. Alexander’s hustle gave her two free throws, making both and pushing the score further.

Rough defense from the Wildcats led to the Rockets making a two-point layup. With three minutes left in the quarter, the Wildcats kept the lead strong.

The Wildcats struggled to trap during the press, giving the Rockets the lane to bring the ball to the key. Ending the third quarter the Wildcats were down by two with a score of 32-30.

“To make our press more effective we need to just execute because we know the play, it just comes down to if we’re going to do it right,” Alexander said.

In the final quarter, the Wildcats slowly lost the lead. The Rockets scored early on pushing their lead further.

Ending the game with little points scored on the Wildcats end, the Rockets pulled the lead out. Many fouls from the Wildcats led to more shots from the Rockets, with Nastase fouling out.

Starting the season with a 0-1 record will lead the Wildcats to being even more motivated. The Wildcats’ next game is against the Kennedy Cavaliers on Friday, Dec. 8.

0
0