Indoor track dashes through their winter season

Courtesy Vance Bonior
Senior Vance Bonior wins gold at the MCPS Championships on Tuesday, Jan. 23. He placed 1st in shot put and also placed first in the triple jump, earning a PR for both.

WJ indoor track finished with outstanding results on Tuesday, Jan. 23, at the MCPS Championships, held at Prince George’s Sports & Learning Complex. Girls’ varsity ended up finishing fifth place, with boys’ varsity finishing second.

Senior Vance Bonior earned a personal best and first place in his shot put, throwing 45 feet 5 inches. He also earned first place and a PR in the triple jump, jumping 41 feet 11 inches.

“I feel that I accomplished what I came out to do with two gold medals and a silver. I’m lucky to have the opportunity to compete in four events and I’m glad I was able to produce points from all of them,” Bonior said.

Freshman Mirae Denaro placed sixth and had a personal best in the 3200-meter run, running a 12:11.00.

“I ran the 2 mile and the 800 relay yesterday and the two mile was the first time I’ve ever ran it on a track and it was a new experience … I did pretty well so I found that exciting. It was also super helpful that some seniors helped me with techniques for the two-mile,” Denaro said.

Moreover, earning a season record, junior Megan Raue ran a 2:21.91 800-meter dash, receiving third place. In the 4×800-meter relay, senior Mackenzie Raue, senior Zuzana Huserova, senior Carolyn Hultman and Megan Raue ran a 10:00.93, winning gold.

“I am overall happy with how I did, I was sick going into the meet and had not raced in a month so I was nervous about how I would perform, but I was able to score points for the team in the mile and the 800 [relay]. I’m also looking forward to a strong training block before regionals,” Mackenzie Raue said.

Additionally, the Cats have struggled to get all of their meets in because of the renovation of their sports complex, along with the poor weather.

“As a team, we really shined because with the meet cancellations this year, everybody is eager to go out there and make the most out of what we had. Personally, I’m really glad to help out the team and contribute points to earn us second place,” Bonior said.

For the rest of the season, the Cats are determined to push their hardest at regionals, states and even nationals individually and as a team.

“We get a few weeks to rest and practice and I’m looking to improve my high jump and shot put to hopefully win states and do well at nationals in March,” Bonior said.

The Cats are working their hardest in preparation for the 4A West Region Championships on Feb. 5.

0
0