Indoor track strides through Regionals

Courtesy Craig Amoss
Senior Captain Mackenzie Raue races in the 4×800 meter event at the 4A West Region Championships. Her relay group took the lead and ran this relay in 9:33.62.

Indoor track ended with exceptional results at the 4A West Region Championships on Monday, Feb. 7, held at Prince George’s Sports & Learning Complex. Both girls’ and boys’ varsity ended up finishing in third place.

Crowned first place, seniors Calix McCormick, senior Kendall Murphy, Liad Simhony and Alex Kallmes ran an 8:21.61 4×800 meter relay.

“It was a very close race with lots of competition, but because of our teamwork we came out on top. Now our goal is first at states,” McCormick said.

Additionally, seniors Mackenzie Raue, Zuzana Huserova, Carolyn Hultman and junior Megan Raue also earned gold in the 4×800 meter, running a 9:33.62 relay. They also earned the 23rd-best time in the nation with their time. Not only are they preparing to do their best at states, but they are also ready to take on Nationals in March.

“​​Our 4×800 did very well. We had some of the best competition we’ve had all season and an opportunity to really get after the time we wanted. One of our goals was to go sub 9:40 to qualify for nationals, which we did,” Hultman said.

For this meet’s field events, senior Vance Bonior earned a personal record in shot put, throwing 47 feet and 1 inch and jumped 5 feet 10 inches in the high jump, qualifying for the State Championships.

“As a team it was rewarding to produce some consistency by following up our 2nd place county performance with a podium finish in with the boys and girls. Everybody locked in and got the job done, with points coming from a variety of events,” Bonior said.

For the boys’ pole vault, junior Josh Hananel jumped 10 feet, earning fourth place and senior Sarah Watson threw 28 feet and 6 inches in shot put, earning ninth place and a season record.

For boys 55 meter hurdles, senior Olayiwola Oniwinde ran this event in 7.92 seconds, finishing in second place. Not only was he close to first place finisher Joseph Addo with a time of 7.88 seconds, but he also hopes to beat his current time in states.

The Cats are working hard to get ready for State Championships, which take place on Tuesday, Feb. 20.

2
0