Wrestling looks to pin competition

Photo courtesy of Zañel Prieto
Coach Evan Silver and junior Joseph Meyer show the team technique at their daily practices. Wrestling had a solid season last year and will look to continue their success.

Wrestling is in full-swing after their first scrimmage this past weekend. The scrimmage gave the team an opportunity to wrestle students from other MCPS schools. Head coach Brian Frantz explained how this was the team’s first test before the season officially begins.

“The scrimmage was less of a competition but more of a cross-practice where we wrestled with Rockville and BCC. We used [the scrimmage] to see where the team is, compare us with other schools, and see what we need to work on,” Frantz said.

After seeing the team at the scrimmage, Frantz is very optimistic facing the start of this season. The team is very young, in terms of experience, and Frantz revealed how the team can use this to their advantage.

“The goal for the season is really to just continue to improve. We hope to find a few kids who really enjoy the sport, will stick with it in the summer and fall, and come back next year even better. There will be a couple guys that will compete and we want to keep our streak going of having a couple of state placers. That’s the goal every year as a team,” Frantz said.

Senior Zañel Prieto holds similar objectives for this season. This is Prieto’s second year on wrestling.

“Based on the practices and scrimmages we’ve had, I’m feeling very confident for our placement this season. We have very good individuals and team consistency,” Prieto said.

Their first tournament is set for Dec. 7.

0
0