• The Pitch staff is on summer break and will resume publishing in September
  • The first day of school is Monday, August 26
  • Have a great summer!

Wildcats’ playoff run cut short

Dakota Craig
Senior Jessica Lee leads the team in handshakes after a game. Photo by Dakota Craig.

The playoff run for the Walter Johnson Wildcat coed volleyball team has come to an end when the team was defeated by the Blair Blazers on Tuesday, May 8.

On Thursday, May 3 the Walter Johnson varsity coed volleyball team had their first playoff game where they faced the Damascus Hornets. These teams aren’t strangers to one another as they met early during the season. Damascus won that game and the Wildcats were out to get even as a chance to advance to the next round of the playoffs was on the line.

The game was nothing shy of what it was anticipated to be. It was intense during the entire match. The Wildcats were down two sets early after winning the first one. They had to win the two final sets in order to win the series. In the final set, the Wildcats were able to prevail by defeating the Hornets, winning the series 3-2 and punching their ticket to face the The Blair Blazers.

There’s always a change, a different feeling when the postseason rolls around. The stages get bigger and the circumstances become that more important. The players know this, and they aren’t shy of hiding their emotions when it comes to handling these crucial moments. Senior Patrick Domenech was willing to share his thoughts on the difference between the regular season and the postseason.

“Everything you do is much more meaningful, you can’t afford to make mistakes because every point matters,” Domenech said. “There was less talking and everyone was more focused on the game and every point that was scored.”

The Wildcats found themselves in the next round of the playoffs where they faced Blair. Unfortunately the team’s playoff run came to a halt as the Wildcats fell to the Blazers by a final of 3-1 in a best of five series. This will conclude the team’s season, but the team is positive moving forward and head coach William Morris is proud of his team.

“It wasn’t the ending we wanted, but I’m proud of the maturation of this young team,” Morris said. “I thank the seniors for the commitment they’ve made to the team and look forward to next season.”

The team is still young and has a bright future, they can build off this season and use what they learned to come back even better next season.

0
0