• The Pitch staff is on summer break and will resume publishing in September
  • The first day of school is Monday, August 26
  • Have a great summer!

Creativity amid uncertainty: Evelyn Phamm

• Reflecting on this (mechanical) pencil sketch of David Dobrik, Phamm noted, “I think the concept of making something realistic using only one color and multiple shades is really cool.”

• For this Joker portrait, a blend of colors were smoothly incorporated. In contrast to her pencil sketch, Phamm explained, “sometimes colors that seem like they are totally out of the color palette is what really brings the piece together.” In this specific piece, the abstract additions were “subtle blues and purples.”

For this edition of “Creativity amid uncertainty,” our featured artist is junior Evelyn Phamm. In her selected pieces, Phamm focused on the use of pencils, both colored and mechanical, to create realistic portraits.

Our brief Q&A:

Q: How does art help you cope with quarantine?

A: Quarantine or not, art has always been my escape activity. I can spend hours doing it without even realizing it. But it has helped distract me from the whole pandemic situation and missing my friends. The vibe from drawing and painting while listening to music is the best feeling.

1
0