• The Pitch staff is on summer break and will resume publishing in September
  • The first day of school is Monday, August 26
  • Have a great summer!

MSP Retreat features passionate performances, tackles heavy topics

• Northwest High School’s step team commands the stage. The detail-oriented routine involved several segments including one segment that used posters to spread progressive messages.

• South Lake Elementary’s DIVINE Step Team lets loose with their dance routine. These young steppers brought attention to historical female minority leaders admist their dancing.

• Springbrook High School’s latin dance team Ritmo Unidos captivates the audience. The dance number meshed couple dancing along with group dancing.

• Fifteen year old fashion designer showcases her fashion line with a runway show. Each model had their individual walk down the stage before they all regrouped and walked down the stage a final time. The vibrant fabrics and range in body types added to the quality of the display.

• Richard Montgomery High School student delivers a powerful poem titled “Black Woman.” Her rhythmic delivery combined with her empowering message kept the audience attentive.

• A Poolesville High School student stuns with emotional neurodivergent speech. He passionately detailed his hardships with being misunderstood and how he learned that his unique perspective in life doesn’t make him flawed.

• WJ students play a video for their anti-racism workshop. Like the other workshops, the presenters incorporated videos in between informational slides.

Photo by Hannah Sollo Bissombi
  • Two Rockville High School students present their slides covering restorative justice. Statistics showed that a disproportionate amount of minority students have been suspended or expelled, prompting MCPS to adopt the practice.

Photo by Hannah Sollo Bissombi
  • A Churchill student teaches her ‘What Is Racism?’ workshop to elementary students. Scenarios were given to students who were tasked with identifying which level of racism they corresponded with.

Photo by Hannah Sollo Bissombi
  • Two students educate visitors with their ‘Unity and Community’ workshop. The purpose of the workshop was to highlight ways ethnic groups can build community within and outside of their cultural groups.

Photo by Hannah Sollo Bissombi

1
0