V-ball ends season on loss, set up for playoffs

Photo courtesy Stella Lichter
Senior Maya Zutshi takes the serve in a 3-1 loss at the hands of Magruder. This was the last game of the regular season for the volleyball team, as they will now look to carry their 9-5 record into the playoffs.

The Cats’ volleyball team ended a productive six game winning streak on Thursday, falling 3-1 at the hands of Magruder. Leading up to this game, the Cats won games against Northwest HS (3-0), and Poolesville (3-1). This game was on WJ’s senior night and it was the last game of the regular season. Now, they look ahead towards the playoffs.

In the game against Northwest, the Cats once again came out on top, winning 3-0. This was the Cats seventh shutout overall this season.

“We were talking a lot, and we got lots of great kills, great touches. Our passes were good as well,” senior captain Gillian Fannon said.

The Cats then beat Poolesville 3-1, pushing their win streak to six games.

“Against Poolesville, we were really on top of it. We had a lot of energy, and in the fourth set, our energy was at an all time high and we beat them by a bunch and it felt good to end that way,” senior Maya Zutshi said.

But then the Cats once again got a taste of defeat, as they fell to Magruder.

“It’s a hard loss, our team is good enough to beat Magruder, we’ve beaten them before and I feel like we’re evenly matched to their team. We just fell through with some of our defensive playing today. I felt like our offense played really well, but we fell through on defense,” junior Ariel Mazor said.

Despite the loss, there are some positive takeaways from the game.

“Even though we didn’t win, I felt like we fought very hard, we went to four sets. It was our senior night, everyone played really great and we played well,” Fannon said.

Now the Cats, finishing with a record of 9-5, will look to make a playoff push. They are seeded third in their region, and they will open the playoffs at home on Thusday, Nov. 2 against the sixth seed Gaithersburg High School, who finished their season 4-10.

“I’m hopeful [for the playoffs], I think we can get pretty far this year. I feel like we’re evenly matched with a lot of the teams in our division and we just have to have a lot of energy and we have to want to win,” Zutshi said.

0
0